From grain to flour
NO MILL FESTIVAL THIS YEAR!
We recommend you: VISIT TO A MILL IN OPERATION every Monday from 10am to 2 pm
For a long time it was very difficult to reach Terenten from the valley. For hundreds of years the village people had to look after themselves. The farmers and craftsmen provided food and clothes. Almost every farm had its own mill. However, only few of them are still fully functional. The educational mills path leads along Ternerbach River. During a 1,5 hour hike you walk past 7 renovated corn mills, some of which are up to 500 years old. This is where farmers used to grain corn into fine flour, and sometimes still do. During the summer months one mill is open to the public every Monday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
No registration required. Please bring a face mask with you.
We hope to organise the mill festival next year! From 10:00 am to 5:00 pm old and young in Val di Terento experience the miller’s craft just like in grandfather’s day. With the clattering of the water-powered wooden mill wheels and using the weight of the heavy mill stones Terento millers grind the grains to flower in the 500 years old flour mills!
Adventure tips for the whole family:
- Viewing and demonstration of the up to 500 years old flour mills
- Easy hike for the whole family / shuttle available (for a charge)
- Musical supporting programme
- Farmers kitchen - Enjoy traditional rural delicacies such as Tirtschlan pastries, Krapfen deep fried pastry parcels, dumplings, Speck cured ham and cheeses, juices
- Bread baking
- Goaslkrocha whip cracking
- Schuhplattler dancing